004 - There's an Octopus on Your Head
01-13-2014, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 01:38 PM by brett.)
004 - There's an Octopus on Your Head
[Image: 004_image.jpg]

004 - There's an Octopus on Your head
In this episode of Seek and Destroy, Brett bares it all with a story about being driven into emotionally reactive behavior and Carson and Brett use this opportunity to explore Michael Brown’s “ICU” process. Our anti-heros also get into discussions around the stages of conscious evolution, Ken Wilber's Pre/Trans Fallacy and some Louis CK comedy. \m/

Permanent Download Link: http://traffic.libsyn.com/seekanddestroy...R_HEAD.mp3

Related Links
The Presence Process: http://www.thepresenceportal.com
ICU Practice: http://www.thepresenceportal.com/Article...rt%20I.htm
AQAL Map: http://www.formlessmountain.com/AQALchart12.jpg
The Pre/Trans Fallacy: http://integrallife.com/video/pre-trans-fallacy
AYP: http://www.aypsite.com
Louis CK Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HbYScltf1c

Credits: Game show music is a derivative of “Game Show Music – Guy Richardson Composition” by Guy Richardson, licensed under CC BY 3.0. This podcast also uses these sounds from freesound: fall_and_bounce_arp_90BPM_G1.wav by medialint, Approx 800 Laugh 1.wav by lonemonk, Applause, huge, thunderous by peridactyloptrix, and Disappointed_Crowd by unchaz
01-13-2014, 05:57 PM
RE: 004 - There's an Octopus on Your Head
I just showed my 4 year old daughter the picture of an octopus on one of your heads, and she laughed harder than I've seen her in a week. It seems to be universal that kids of a certain age think it is so funny when adults make a mistake. Once I realized this, I am now the Chris Rock for 4-year olds, just by pretending to trip over my shoelaces.

I went from never hearing of you guys a week ago, to getting pumped that you put up a new podcast. I hope to check it out tonight. Thanks again
01-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Ha nice regedit! I'll have to step it up a notch the next time I see my 3-year old neice.

Stoked to hear you grabbed the new episode, hope you dig it! metal
01-13-2014, 11:34 PM
Listening to Brett's description on his experiences with the Presence Process was very interesting. I have the book, and I have put off starting until the time seemed right. Do you think God/ the universe/ a higher power/ etc... is working with you during this process to present you the exact challenges you need, or do you think you just have heightened awareness and extreme emotional responses to everyday living during the Presence Process? Also, I can't thank you both enough for doing these podcasts.
01-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Wow! This podcast is super relevant to my life experience right now. I was triggered recently and it manifested as intense fear -- hyperventilation, sobbing, a sensation of screaming without sound. It frightened the heck out of my poor husband. Even after the initial attack subsided, the energy stayed way up. The solar center and throat center seemed most involved, but the whole body was surging with energy. I stayed with it and gave it my undivided attention until it all dissipated. But man! Not pleasant! I hadn't heard of the I-C-U thing, and I think it fits perfectly. Will definitely be using it.

Loved the game show! Party
01-14-2014, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 09:31 AM by CarsonZi.)
Hey regedit,

regedit Wrote:I just showed my 4 year old daughter the picture of an octopus on one of your heads, and she laughed harder than I've seen her in a week. It seems to be universal that kids of a certain age think it is so funny when adults make a mistake. Once I realized this, I am now the Chris Rock for 4-year olds, just by pretending to trip over my shoelaces.

I went from never hearing of you guys a week ago, to getting pumped that you put up a new podcast. I hope to check it out tonight. Thanks again

I thought the pic of the octopus on Brett's head was freakin' hilarious too. Xd

I have two daughters, Amrita and Akasha who are 3 and 1 respectively (will be 4 and 2 on May 21) and I concur that kids sure seem to think it's funny as fuck when me or Dee (wife) purposefully make mistakes in front of them. I do this thing where I will pretend to be looking behind me talking to them while walking and will walk into a wall and then bounce off other walls and eventually end up on the floor. I think Akasha actually pooped herself once she laughed so hard. Kids are probably the coolest thing that has ever happened to me and I can't imagine going through life without them... wouldn't want to.

regedit Wrote:Listening to Brett's description on his experiences with the Presence Process was very interesting. I have the book, and I have put off starting until the time seemed right. Do you think God/ the universe/ a higher power/ etc... is working with you during this process to present you the exact challenges you need, or do you think you just have heightened awareness and extreme emotional responses to everyday living during the Presence Process? Also, I can't thank you both enough for doing these podcasts.

I've put off starting the Presence Process as well. Doesn't feel right for me at this time and emotional integration seems to be happening regardless. I do personally think that "the universe" (I stay away from words like "god" "higher power" etc and usually use the word "life" in exchange) is working with you to present you with the exact challenges you need... not only during the Presence Process but in every moment of every day, without fail. Having watched Brett do TPP I would wager that heightened awareness and sensitivity play into the increased amount of "triggers" that happen during the process, but I think that if anyone is simply diligent in watching for emotions to arise and then instead of instinctually acting on them just sit with the sensations/thoughts that come with the emotion, then the process can happen at any/all time/s. Just my inclination... no idea if that is actually true or not for anyone other than me.

Super stoked that you've been digging the 'cast so far. Rock
01-14-2014, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2014 12:15 AM by CarsonZi.)
whippoorwill Wrote:Wow! This podcast is super relevant to my life experience right now. I was triggered recently and it manifested as intense fear -- hyperventilation, sobbing, a sensation of screaming without sound. It frightened the heck out of my poor husband. Even after the initial attack subsided, the energy stayed way up. The solar center and throat center seemed most involved, but the whole body was surging with energy. I stayed with it and gave it my undivided attention until it all dissipated. But man! Not pleasant! I hadn't heard of the I-C-U thing, and I think it fits perfectly. Will definitely be using it.

It's funny how the body stays all keyed up after an experience of being emotionally triggered. My body has been doing the same thing forever only recently changing in that the heightened level of energy now dissipates almost with the emotion. This actually drives my wife crazy. If we have an argument for example, once the argument is over I would have in the past been very physically wound up still, even if the mental aspect has dropped. But now the wound up sense goes almost immediately as soon as the emotion is integrated. This makes Dee irritated sometimes simply because she still feels wound up and I don't. It makes it seem (mentally) like I care less about what just happened then she does... which may actually be the case, I don't know. Regardless, I should be more sensitive to her, but it can be challenging to come across to another as compassionate when there just isn't any shred of feeling like something is "not right."

snd
01-14-2014, 07:39 PM
regedit Wrote:Listening to Brett's description on his experiences with the Presence Process was very interesting. I have the book, and I have put off starting until the time seemed right. Do you think God/ the universe/ a higher power/ etc... is working with you during this process to present you the exact challenges you need, or do you think you just have heightened awareness and extreme emotional responses to everyday living during the Presence Process? Also, I can't thank you both enough for doing these podcasts.

While I'd agree with Carson that the process of being presented with what you need for emotional integration is taking place whether or not we enter into The Presence Process, I also strongly believe things get turned up a notch (or ten) when doing TPP. Not sure if it's the way the book is written or through intention alone, but I can't say that I've ever experienced raw emotional charge on the level that I did during TPP, and I give the process all the credit for that.

So to answer your question, the present moment awareness (combined with the intention to integrate emotional charges) actually made dealing with common everyday emotional charges much easier in my experience. It was the big ones which surfaced that proved to be the most challenging. And I credit, and thank, TPP for those. Yes, it did feel to me that there was a "higher power" involved in the process, and the book reinforces that.

Similar to a really good psychedelic trip, it was one of the most insane and rewarding experiences of my life, and I plan on doing it again as soon as I have the guts. It's an emotional boot camp in letting go, in which we learn the hard way that resistance is simply no longer acceptable. In my opinion, TPP is to emotional growth what meditation is to conscious evolution. A fucking jetpack.

snd

whipporwill Wrote:Wow! This podcast is super relevant to my life experience right now. I was triggered recently and it manifested as intense fear -- hyperventilation, sobbing, a sensation of screaming without sound.

I'm right with you, whipporwill. You'll be hearing about my fear-based experiences (and integration) in the next podcast. Shock

Not sure ICU is the practice to try there, unless it was a thought pattern that led to the fear. It sounds to me like you had a juicy one surfacing, and your response to it was a good as it gets in a situation like that. In my fear-based experiences, it was literally paralyzing fear for no reason whatsoever, and the toughest emotion I've ever had to deal with. It took a few separate experiences of it surfacing before I was ready, but was eventually able to integrate it. The only way out is through. metal

Are you currently active in TPP?
01-14-2014, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 09:12 PM by whippoorwill.)
Hi Brett:

Quote:I'm right with you, whipporwill. You'll be hearing about my fear-based experiences (and integration) in the next podcast.

Cool!

Quote:Not sure ICU is the practice to try there, unless it was a thought pattern that led to the fear. It sounds to me like you had a juicy one surfacing, and your response to it was a good as it gets in a situation like that. In my fear-based experiences, it was literally paralyzing fear for no reason whatsoever, and the toughest emotion I've ever had to deal with. It took a few separate experiences of it surfacing before I was ready, but was eventually able to integrate it. The only way out is through.

You might be right about that. It was pretty sudden. I saw a photograph over my husband's shoulder, and suddenly I realized I was sitting just like the woman in the photograph, then I was the woman in the photograph, and then I kind of lost it. The photograph wasn't especially graphic. There was just something about it...

The I-C-U will be a good practice to use when I start to work myself up over the kids' messy bedrooms. Biggrin

Quote:Are you currently active n TPP?

I finished one 10-week round a couple of months ago. I guess it's obviously still going on, even though I've gone back to an AYP baseline practice.

Anyway, it's all good! Glad to be here! Great podcast! Cheers
01-15-2014, 12:12 AM
whippoorwhill Wrote:I saw a photograph over my husband's shoulder, and suddenly I realized I was sitting just like the woman in the photograph, then I was the woman in the photograph, and then I kind of lost it.

NICE! I love it when stuff like that happens! I remember "holding the bucket" for a friend a few years ago when I saw myself in his table and completely lost it.

Confused
Cawg