007 - Strikes and Gutters
02-03-2014, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 12:21 AM by brett.)
[Image: 007_image.jpg]

"Strikes and Gutters" finds Carson and Brett speaking for the first time in a month, and with plenty of stories to tell. Brett shares an experience of canines seemingly sent to clear his karma, and reunites with his father after a three-plus year hiatus. Carson takes a wild ride with the help of his new acupuncturist, and opens his new business from concept to customer ready in under a month. All this, and GENERIC INTROOOOOOOOOO on this week's Seek and Destroy. \m/

Permanent Download Link: http://traffic.libsyn.com/seekanddestroy...UTTERS.mp3

Related Links
RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/...i-20140202

Credits: Generic Introoooo uses "Project 1" by Winds of Change, licensed under Creative Commons.
02-04-2014, 12:05 AM
RE: 007 - Strikes and Gutters
The latest podcast may have been the most interesting 2 hour conversation I have ever heard in my life. I am being dead serious. The story Brett told about 3 different dogs running into traffic in less than 24 hours, along with Carson's story with the acupuncturist were absolutely insane to me. And I am so pumped for Carson and the skate shop. Absolutely beautiful. Since we were just talking about parental stuff recently, I wanted to comment on Brett's story with his Dad.

Two things about Brett's story struck me in particular. One was the contentment his grandmother felt at seeing something she thought she would never see. That is exactly what I envision that my mother would feel at me baptizing my daughter. I still don't know if that would be a good idea, but his description of how his grandmother reacted is exactly how I envision that my Mom would react to a baptism.

The other thing that struck me was Brett's description on how his father fought through the awkwardness to hug his son and tell him that he loved him as they were departing. That was so frickin beautiful to me, and I recently had a very similar experience. My father is somewhere between early-stage and mid-stage Alzheimer's, but he is still 'there' in my opinion. My father is a great man. He is extremely moral, and he is/ was the best husband and son. I didn't think he was a great father however, and I never had any connection with him whatsoever. He was a great provider, but I didn't feel like he gave a shit about me other than my physical needs when I was growing up to be completely honest. Well I recently had the most amazing day with him. My parents are now in their mid-seventies. I had to drive my Mom to the train station and spend the day with him. I am not going to say we had some amazing break-thru conversation, but just like Brett described with the final hug from his Dad, my father genuinely wanted to connect with me. Big time. It was so important to him. Every sentence I said, he tried so hard to connect with me. And it was beautiful. It felt like 43 years of healing in one day, just because I knew it was extremely important for him to connect with me.
02-04-2014, 12:19 PM
regedit Wrote:I am so pumped for Carson and the skate shop.

Thanks mang! If you want to follow the happenings at the shop we have a FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Love-...7881344763

regedit Wrote:Two things about Brett's story struck me in particular. One was the contentment his grandmother felt at seeing something she thought she would never see. That is exactly what I envision that my mother would feel at me baptizing my daughter. I still don't know if that would be a good idea, but his description of how his grandmother reacted is exactly how I envision that my Mom would react to a baptism.

Mentally, this could easily become a breeding ground for suffering. I think that no matter what you do it is going to be the right thing.

regedit Wrote:The other thing that struck me was Brett's description on how his father fought through the awkwardness to hug his son and tell him that he loved him as they were departing. That was so frickin beautiful to me...

Me too man... I cried when Brett told me.

regedit Wrote:Every sentence I said, he tried so hard to connect with me. And it was beautiful. It felt like 43 years of healing in one day, just because I knew it was extremely important for him to connect with me.

This just melts my heart man. I hope that one day I get to experience this with my parents. Right now the divide between us is nearly unfathomable and I feel extremely guilty that I'm okay with that. Working on it, and hearing stories like yours and Brett's pushes me towards reconciliation faster I think. prayer
02-05-2014, 12:53 AM
Quote:Me too man... I cried when Brett told me.
Me too - it looks like I am not the only wuss Biggrin

Quote:I hope that one day I get to experience this with my parents. Right now the divide between us is nearly unfathomable and I feel extremely guilty that I'm okay with that.

Yeah, I totally get that. I think there was so much wisdom that Brett shared on why this last interaction went well versus other ones. But one thing he mentioned is that it may just take time. It may need time to breathe.

If you don't mind me tacking on an additional suggestion to what Brett talked about when the time is right, it would be self-deprecating humor. When I am in any situation where I sense someone else and myself both have our guards up and I want to get out of it, self-deprecating humor is an amazing tool. So if your Mom is telling you that the world is 6,000 years old and starts to justify it, maybe just say something like "yeah, I hear where you are coming from." and then insert a joke at your expense about your crazy yoga adventures. Once you make a joke at your own expense, it is if the entire energy in the room changes. It is highly unlikely someone will continue to pile on you after you do that.
02-05-2014, 09:59 AM
regedit Wrote:If you don't mind me tacking on an additional suggestion to what Brett talked about when the time is right, it would be self-deprecating humor.

Biggrin This is funny to me for two reasons. 1. I am no stranger to self-deprecation, both funny and not. Bang I regularly use self-deprecating humor to my benefit, especially at work (at the railway). I'm particularly unqualified for the job so I often use humor to make things less awkward when I should know something I don't. 2. My mom is constantly comically berating herself (which to me feels inauthentic). If I used this practice with my mom it would be very funny because we would both be doing the same thing... making fun of ourselves. I could do it in a way that wasn't inauthentic (because I am generally easy to make fun of) but I could see how my mom might take it as me making fun of her for doing the exact same thing.

I'm sure doing this would work just fine to diffuse an escalating situation... now all I need is the balls to call my mommy on the phone and get her into a fight so I can practice. Xd