009 - The Kumare Incident
02-16-2014, 10:11 PM
[Image: 009_image.jpg]

It's a fight to the (ego) death as Carson and Brett square off in this steel cage match film review of the documentary "Kumare"! Witness the carnage as heads are smashed into zabutons, bodies slammed into smoldering piles of nag champa, and the lotus leg lock leaves the ring stained in blood! Hold on tight folks, it's a battle for the ages on this week's Seek and Destroy! \m/

Permanent Download Link: http://traffic.libsyn.com/seekanddestroy...CIDENT.mp3

Related Links
Kumare Movie: http://kumaremovie.com/
Kumare's Website: http://www.kumare.org/

Credits: The intro to the podcast uses "Approx 5000-Crowd Noise.wav" by lonemonk, and "Roar of the crowd.wav" by CGEffex, both licensed under CC BY 3.0.
02-16-2014, 10:45 PM
RE: 009 - The Kumare Incident
I was pumped to see that a new podcast was up. I listened to the first 3 or 4 minutes and I decided to not listen any further until I watch this movie Kumare first to form my own opinion before I listen to you guys talk about it. Hopefully I can catch it on Netflix or something in the next couple of days.

BTW - I don't know which of you is the Photoshop expert, but the graphics always crack me up Biggrin
02-17-2014, 12:28 AM
regedit Wrote:I decided to not listen any further until I watch this movie Kumare

Yeah, I posted on the SnD Twitter and FB accounts that it would be a good idea to watch the movie before listening to the podcast, but probably should have posted something in the forums here too. My bad.

It's Brett that's the Photoshop genius. :D
02-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Looking forward to hearing others take on this one. I definitely have some strong conditioning in place when it comes to this subject, and its a tough one to break from.

Also wanted to go on record (since we didn't on the podcast) in saying that even though I may not agree with the subject matter, Kumare is a very well made film which deserves its accolades. Will be interesting to see what Vikram Ghandi comes up with next.

Thanks on the photoshops, its one of my favorite parts of working on the podcast. Biggrin
02-20-2014, 12:27 AM
This was my favorite podcast yet. ;)
02-20-2014, 02:34 PM
I watched the movie, and I think the guy is kind of a douche. He embarrassed a lot of good people, and if he genuinely felt for them, he would have scrapped the movie. I doubt he edited the movie with their benefit in mind, but rather his. That movie will follow those people around.
02-20-2014, 09:22 PM
regedit Wrote:I watched the movie, and I think the guy is kind of a douche. He embarrassed a lot of good people, and if he genuinely felt for them, he would have scrapped the movie. I doubt he edited the movie with their benefit in mind, but rather his. That movie will follow those people around.

Not sure if you've had a chance to check out the podcast yet (so I won't say too much), but that was a big part of my beef with the film as well. Dude is a dick.
02-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Dude is a lover. He was trying to save us all from the throws of faux spirituality. <3 him. ;)
02-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Quote:Dude is a lover. He was trying to save us all from the throws of faux spirituality. <3 him. ;)

Argh

Well then you should show that same love to all the fundamentalist Christians who are trying to save us all from the throws of science and homosexuality. Or the leaders in history who have tried to save us from anything different than they perceived themselves to be.

Misguided intention does not a hero make. Saving many at the cost of a few is a term governments use to justify war, and is soaked in ethnocentricity. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve your love, but dude isn't a martyr. I think you may be thinking of the wrong Ghandi. Tongue
02-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Well, I finally got around to watching "Kumare." I watch movies to have fun, and I tend to dislike movies that take themselves seriously because they're not any fun. However, I'm sure that "pleasing Liz" was not real high on Vikram Gandhi's agenda. He was in it to learn something. Smile

I'm not sure Vikram is guilty of anything other than making an un-fun movie. His students were looking for someone who would listen to them, love them, and allow them to feel empowered. He did that for them. For those that were disillusioned, they were shown in blatant terms the power of their own prejudices -- also an important lesson. (But I hope to God that my own prejudices and lessons are not so embarrassingly exposed through the medium of a popular movie. Shock)

I completely agree with the main message of the movie: that "The Guru is in you." But I do not agree with the movie's implied corollary: that all spiritual teachers and teachings are fraudulent. You tend to find what you're looking for. He was looking for fraud and he found it. What would happen if he looked for love, generosity, integrity, honesty, and genuinely developed skill? I happen to see these qualities everywhere I look -- not always in people who openly practice meditation, but often.

We make the mistake of compartmentalizing experience into the categories of "spiritual" and "not spiritual" and arbitrarily assigning qualities to those two categories based on our likes and dislikes. The movie, Kumare, only exposes that what some people regard as spiritual does not fit Vikram's definition of spiritual. It doesn't tackle the habit of compartmentalization and definition itself. I think it would be a much more interesting film if it did. Smile

Love!!