009 - The Kumare Incident
03-05-2014, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 08:43 PM by brett.)
RE: 009 - The Kumare Incident
(03-05-2014 01:17 PM)lori Wrote:  Something came up for me while listening to Brett talk about going to the Zen center. He said that he had to interview with the teacher and be a serious student to even be allowed to go.

Just to clarify on this, the Zen Center was actually the teacher's home and there was only enough room in the zendo for about 8 students. So between the limited space and the fact that students were entering and leaving the house freely (sometimes while his wife was still asleep), it felt understandable that he'd want to check a new potential student out a bit beforehand.

In regards to the advanced meditation group, is it possible that they were sharing practices that could potentially put someone new right in the shit? By splitting the group, those new to practice could get a feel for their personal situation before jumping into the deep end, and once that had been established, expand on it in the advanced group.

I guess I'm looking at it from the aspect of anything with a bit of a learning curve. I sure as hell wouldn't want to start my diving career by joining the advanced scuba diving group, but also wouldn't want to hang around with the n00bs once I'd graduated from the swimming pool. Biggrin
03-30-2014, 03:42 PM
I am a little intimidated to enter this conversation, but I am going to go for it anyway.

When I rented the movie, I was already a little pissed with what I had heard about it. Honesty is huge for me, so I had already formed an opinion. 15 minutes into the movie I had already changed my view. I NEVER took away from the movie that he was a douchebag.

I think he set out to prove something and in doing so learned a huge lesson himself. I think he struggled with what he was doing once he was into it, but I also think he was authentically involved with the people he was surrounded by. Carson, you hit the nail on the head when you said his eyes changed. They totally did. He never once didn't listen or not fully engage with the people he was connecting too. So fake as it started out as, I think he was still participating with full presence and appreciated the experience. I have to admit I was a little in love with him halfway through, and I KNEW what he was doing.

I never got the feeling he was saying hey, look at me...I am going to make all these people look like idiots. (Well except for the Saddam Hussein poster and possibly the penis) but once he started to connect with the others, I really never felt that with him.

So as much as we can bash him for making a bad decision to start with, I think it ended with a learning for all of us, I know I felt different after watching it. I have compassion for him and how he must have felt owning up to what he had done, and just not knowing how the people he had been with would react. He obviously genuinely had feelings for all of those people.
03-30-2014, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 03:58 PM by CarsonZi.)
I think we should team up and square off... Pro Kumare vs Anti Kumare. Then we can have a wall of death for closure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P_czDjNByU
metal
03-30-2014, 04:17 PM
theredneckprincess Wrote:So as much as we can bash him for making a bad decision to start with, I think it ended with a learning for all of us, I know I felt different after watching it.

Thanks for sharing, redneckprincess. This film kicked off a serious bout of inquiry for me, and by the end of that, I'd agree that I had definitely received a teaching as well. It sure as hell wasn't easy though. Xd

CarsonZi Wrote:I think we should team up and square off... Pro Kumare vs Anti Kumare

Haha no thanks, I surrender!

[Image: PBF020-Skub.gif]
03-30-2014, 05:13 PM
(03-30-2014 04:17 PM)brett Wrote:  [Image: PBF020-Skub.gif]

I lost my shit over this comic. Xd
03-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Hahahaha...I am gonna beg out of the wall of death thing for sure. I am way too old for that shit :)
03-30-2014, 11:02 PM
(03-30-2014 03:42 PM)theredneckprincess Wrote:  I am a little intimidated to enter this conversation, but I am going to go for it anyway.

It is all good Cool. I suspect Kumare bothered me for a different reason then Brett. For whatever reason, I felt particularly bad for the yoga teacher who walked out during the reveal. I haven't done the self-inquiry that Brett has, so I don't know why that bothered me. It obviously triggered some reaction in me, whereas more obnoxious examples like Sacha Baron Cohen/ Borat getting some folks to embarrassingly sing anti-Semitic songs on a major film just seemed very funny to me. I suspect I am far more comfortable with people who I (condescendingly) perceive as ignorant being made fun of rather than well-intentioned yet misguided spiritual people. I obviously have something to work on.