003 - Nobody Eats Parsley
01-05-2014, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 04:38 PM by brett.)
[Image: 003_image.jpg]

This week’s episode takes a look at parenting from both sides, as Carson & Brett both discuss issues dealing with their own parents, leading to a discussion regarding Carson’s role as a parent to his own children. Further investigation into “The Presence Process” brings up an inquiry into the difference between reacting and responding. Brett accidentally hits his co-worker in the face with a ball of paper, Carson reflects on his time spent as a spiritual teacher, and a closer look is taken at “Westernized Yoga”.

Permanent Download Link: http://traffic.libsyn.com/seekanddestroy...ARSLEY.mp3

Related Links
The Presence Process: http://thepresenceportal.com/
Advanced Yoga Practices: http://www.aypsite.com
01-08-2014, 11:45 AM
RE: 003 - Nobody Eats Parsley
Curious.... did anybody find the intro offensive?

Guitar
01-10-2014, 08:54 PM
The intro was hilarious, and I loved it! Yeah, it's possible that some will be offended, but I think you should leave it exactly as it is.
01-10-2014, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 11:24 PM by brett.)
Hell yeah! Thanks whippoorwill. metal

And while we're here, there's a bit of a backstory on the joke at the end, of which the punchline ended up as the title of the podcast. This is the first dirty joke that I remember hearing as a child, and even though I didn't understand it at the time, I knew there was something to it and never forgot it. It was told to my father by my mother's cousin, whose house we were at. The land around the house also served as a plant nursery, and I was with my father getting the tour when the joke was told. I assume we were standing near a parsley plant at that moment.

30 years later, it's still my favorite dirty joke. Cool
03-12-2014, 11:36 PM
(01-08-2014 11:45 AM)CarsonZi Wrote:  Curious.... did anybody find the intro offensive?

Guitar

That was fucking hilarious!!!
03-12-2014, 11:56 PM
Not much offends me...and the story about Brett hitting his coworker in the face with the paper had me laughing so hard I nearly crashed my truck, driving and listening to you two could end up being fairly dangerous...
03-13-2014, 12:15 AM
(03-12-2014 11:56 PM)theredneckprincess Wrote:  Not much offends me...and the story about Brett hitting his coworker in the face with the paper had me laughing so hard I nearly crashed my truck, driving and listening to you two could end up being fairly dangerous...

Hahahahahaha Lol
03-13-2014, 01:05 AM
I listened to 3.5 episodes today and it was fantastic for so many reasons. For one thing, it makes me feel connected to people who are like-minded. Or just as crazy;) For another, I'm seeing so much of my self through you guys. I have always identified with Carson, and now I know why. We have the same mommy issues. The difference is, I work with her. I'm crazy like that.
What I love so much though, is that you guys are so honest and open in talking about all of this. I'm a comedy nerd and I listen to dozens of podcasts by comedians. The reason I love them so much is that they are SO vulnerable. They say all the things you aren't supposed to think, let alone say. They don't give a fuck. They are free. And it's a freedom I think we all crave. You are in that same category.

One thing that kept coming to me as I listened, was an exercise I think you guys would like working with. It goes along with The Work of Byron Katie, which I have been doing and facilitating for years and always seem to come back to.
It has to do with how defence, denial or resistance actually hold up our stories.
The example I'll use is my own. Whenever I look back on my past and feel embarrassed or ashamed, or my husband somehow implies I am not perfect and I get triggered, this process can be fun to play with. If your idea of fun is getting uncomfortable and obliterating your stories.

Ex. I'm embarrassed that I when I was in grade 3, my teacher told me I was a mean little girl and she hated mean little girls.
The cellular reaction that accompanies that memory is that "She's wrong, I'm not mean!"
So the next question is, so what do mean people deserve?
My answer: punishment, isolation, ridicule, violence,
So, is that the treatment you would prescribe for a little girl who is being mean, in order to heal them?
My Answer: Absolutely not!
So what would you prescribe?
My Answer: HUGS, conversation, understanding, listening, connection, grounding, etc.
It gives me space around the thought so I can question "I'm mean" on a deeper level. I love using it when I am in resistance or denial. The point is that "I'm not _____" always holds up it's opposite as truth, otherwise there's no need to defend. Like "I'm not special" holds up "Im special." Does this make sense? It hard to explain in writing...

It comes up when my husband says "you're selfish or you're lazy." I can't find the truth in it until I see selfish or lazy people with compassion. Then I can find where he's right and I need to humble to it, apologize and move forward. Which is hard, because in my family, you have to work hard all the time and be perfect or you are worthless.

I thought you guys might want to play with this. I hope it's useful:)

Inner monologue: I hope you don't think I'm arrogant!
Uh oh, why do I think that? What do I think arrogant people deserve? Oh dear...I feel a vulnerability hangover coming on...
03-13-2014, 09:14 AM
(03-13-2014 01:05 AM)Carlene Wrote:  I have always identified with Carson, and now I know why. We have the same mommy issues. The difference is, I work with her. I'm crazy like that.

You are a brave and courageous woman if you have the same kind of issues with your mom that I have and you are *working* with her... I haven't really talked to my mom (or dad) since September last year when I last went to Calgary but I'm going there next week for my Grandpa's wake and will have to see them.... I've been dealing with feelings of fear and dread and have caught myself projecting possible interactions with them since the moment I found out my Grandpa died... not particularly excited about seeing them again. Working with my mom would probably put one of us in the pen for murder. Xd

(03-13-2014 01:05 AM)Carlene Wrote:  What I love so much though, is that you guys are so honest and open in talking about all of this. I'm a comedy nerd and I listen to dozens of podcasts by comedians. The reason I love them so much is that they are SO vulnerable. They say all the things you aren't supposed to think, let alone say. They don't give a fuck. They are free. And it's a freedom I think we all crave. You are in that same category.

We realized the same thing after starting the podcast... that comedy can essentially be a spiritual path (centered around self awareness and public vulnerability) and have tried to bring that into the podcast at least in some way. Louis CK is a big inspiration for me (and I believe Brett as well) as he is a walking example of the kind of comedian I think is a great example of a "comedic spiritual guru."

(03-13-2014 01:05 AM)Carlene Wrote:  Ex. I'm embarrassed that I when I was in grade 3, my teacher told me I was a mean little girl and she hated mean little girls.
The cellular reaction that accompanies that memory is that "She's wrong, I'm not mean!"
So the next question is, so what do mean people deserve?
My answer: punishment, isolation, ridicule, violence,
So, is that the treatment you would prescribe for a little girl who is being mean, in order to heal them?
My Answer: Absolutely not!
So what would you prescribe?
My Answer: HUGS, conversation, understanding, listening, connection, grounding, etc.
It gives me space around the thought so I can question "I'm mean" on a deeper level. I love using it when I am in resistance or denial. The point is that "I'm not _____" always holds up it's opposite as truth, otherwise there's no need to defend. Like "I'm not special" holds up "Im special." Does this make sense? It hard to explain in writing...

This is really not far off of Byron Katie's "turnaround" step in The Work. If someone calls me "mean" and it causes me to become emotionally reactive it indicates that I somewhere inside believe that I am mean. And I can always find three examples of how I am whatever I am strongly resisting. I totally agree with you that whatever I am resisting admitting about myself, if I project that tendency at (for example) my kids it's a great way to bring compassion into the picture. If I view myself or someone I'm having conceptual issues with as a child it's usually quite a bit harder to get/stay angry.

(03-13-2014 01:05 AM)Carlene Wrote:  Inner monologue: I hope you don't think I'm arrogant!
Uh oh, why do I think that? What do I think arrogant people deserve? Oh dear...I feel a vulnerability hangover coming on...

Thank you for being so vulnerable with us. <3

snd
03-13-2014, 09:38 AM
"This is really not far off of Byron Katie's "turnaround" step in The Work. If someone calls me "mean" and it causes me to become emotionally reactive it indicates that I somewhere inside believe that I am mean. And I can always find three examples of how I am whatever I am strongly resisting. I totally agree with you that whatever I am resisting admitting about myself, if I project that tendency at (for example) my kids it's a great way to bring compassion into the picture. If I view myself or someone I'm having conceptual issues with as a child it's usually quite a bit harder to get/stay angry."

It's not far off the turnarounds at all. It's a side-dish to the turnaround:) I just love it when I notice that really visceral reaction when I think you think something about me. In those moments, I can't do The Work from a deep place. It might be the octopus on my head:)

I agree about comedians being spiritual leaders! Louis CK is one of my heroes! He's incredibly present live. I admire that vulnerability so much. When I listen to Duncan Trussel's podcast I have breakthrough experiences sometimes. I cry frequently, despite the comedy. It's weird.

I do get close to matricide with my mother. She triggers me daily and it takes all of my focus to respond, not react. This is very hard on my ego that wants to be the enlightened one. I "should" be able to work well with anyone! Lol. For some reason she brings out the worst in me. But I am stubborn and I want to heal that wound if it goddamn kills me!! Lmao.
I have been looking for other outlets for work recently because of this actually. Because I wonder if I do this to fuel or heal my wounds sometimes...don't know, don't know, don't know...